VERGIL ORTIZ JR takes on his next test in the welterweight division – Brit fighter Michael McKinson.
McKinson goes into the fight as a massive underdog but is heralded as an awkward southpaw who can make his opponent’s night’s work very tricky.
The Portsmouth man beat Chris Kongo on points last year on the Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin 2 undercard, and is confident of another big win here.
But Ortiz Jr is one of the hottest prospects in American boxing, and is being tipped for world honours one day.
His record is 18-0, with all 18 of those fights ending in a stoppage, and it includes wins over career contender Egis Kavaliauskas and former world champion Maurice Hooker.
If McKinson is to come up with the upset, he has to be on his A-game, as Ortiz Jr definitely will be.
When is Ortiz Jr vs McKinson?
- Ortiz Jr’s big clash with McKinson will take place this weekend on Saturday, August 6.
- The fight will be held at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Ortiz Jr vs McKinson was supposed to take place back in March but was postponed at the last minute after Ortiz Jr fell ill.
What channel is it and can it be live streamed?
- Ortiz Jr vs McKinson will be shown live on DAZN in the UK.
- You can live stream the action from the DAZN app, which is available for download onto your mobile and tablet device.
- It costs £7.99-a-month to subscribe to DAZN in the UK.
Ortiz Jr vs McKinson FULL CARD
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Michael McKinson
- Marlen Esparza vs. Eva Guzman
- Maurice Hooker vs. Blair Cobbs
- Bektemir Melikuziev vs. Sladan Janjanin
- Alex Martin vs. Hank Lundy
What has been said?
“I’m getting what I deserve,” McKinson said.
“I was prepared to fight Ortiz, Jr. before; now, I have been given the opportunity again to prove I am the best in this division.”
“I am very happy to be stepping back into the ring again,” Ortiz Jr said.
“I’m ready to show the world once again why I’m ready for a world title.”
Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Michael McKinson: Date, UK start time, live stream, TV channel, undercard for welterweight clash | The Sun