DEREK CHISORA knocked down Joseph Parker within SEVEN seconds…but Parker recovered to win on a split decision.
A gruelling heavyweight main event went right down to the wire, with New Zealander Parker just prevailing in the end.
On the undercard, Katie Taylor defeated Natasha Jonas in a thriller, and Chris Eubank Jr returned to action in triumphant fashion.
Follow all of the latest reaction from the fight below…
- HOUSE OF CARDSThere was uproar at some of the scorecards on both sides of the Atlantic following wins for Andy Ruiz Jr and Joseph Parker.Ruiz Jr was the victor over Chris Arreola via unanimous decision but fans were shocked by the 118-109 margin of victory on two judges’ scorecards.Meanwhile New Zealand’s Parker beat Derek Chisora via split decision and even HIS coach Andy Lee wasn’t sure he’d won the bout.The razor thin margin of victory was reflected in two of the scorecards, with one judge scoring it 115-113 to Chisora and the other 115-113 to Parker.But a bizarre 116-111 scorecard ensured the former world champ emerged victorious.
Joseph Parker climbed off the canvas after a first round knock down to beat Derek Chisora by a split decision.
- DEL NOT DONEHe may have come up short again last night, but defiant Derek Chisora says he has no plans to retire just yet.The 37-year-old said: “If he wants to give me a rematch, I will take the rematch.”I won the fight. I won’t let them slow me down, I will go again, I am very upset but I won’t let them win.”They want to see me retire, but I’m not retiring yet.”
Andy Ruiz Jr’s has been victorious on his comeback, but the fight against fellow Mexican-American Chris Arreola was not all to plan.
Ruiz was dropped in the second round before outboxing his rival to pick up a wide points win.
- ‘HE BROUGHT THE SMOKE’Speaking after his narrow win, Parker said: “It was a tough fight, I got caught right at the beginning, I had to dig deep and stay focussed.”Derek is a very tough fighter and he threw bombs. I think boxing skills in the rounds was the difference.”It was a very close fight, I thought it could go either way.”He brought the smoke.”
Chisora was fuming at the judges’ scoring on his big night.
DOUBLE CHIS BURGER
Nothing but respect between the two as Chisora brings the customary burgers to Parker and coach Andy Lee in the Kiwi’s dressing room.
NOT SO AVERAGE JOE
Parker edged the decision – but it really could have gone either way
“It’s difficult because I train hard, I fight, I bring everything and this is the treatment I get from boxing.
“My last fight same thing again, this fight same thing again, I think they don’t like me.”
Chisora so upset after the bout.
- RUIZ VS ARREOLABut the heavyweight action hasn’t stopped tonight, far from it!Follow every blow from Andy Ruiz vs Chris Arreola in Los Angeles HERE!All eyes on what Anthony Joshua’s conqueror will do.
REMATCH ON FURY VS AJ CARD?
The fighters have just shook on it!
- PARKER & CHISORAParker: “It was a tough fight. I got caught right at the beginning and I had to dig deep.”Derik [Chisora] is a tough opponent, he came forward and pushed on me from the beginning and threw big bombs.”Chisora: “It’s difficult because I train hard, I fight, I bring everything and this is the treatment I get from boxing.”My last fight same thing again, this fight same thing again, I think they don’t like me.”I can’t get upset because it’s horrible, I train hard everyday, I give everything in the gym.”And when I put it all in there, this is the results I get.”Chisora ends on: “I’m not retiring yet”.
CHISORA VS PARKER – PARKER WINS
Before we go to the judges score cards, I saw it as 8-4 in Parker’s favour despite the early Chisora knockdown.
The judges have scored it: 115,113 Chisora, 116,111 Parker, 115,113 Parker!
Joseph Parker wins on split decision and he’s the new WBO Intercontinental Heavyweight champion!
Tremendous fight. Both threw everything at it.
Chisora produced another 12 rounds, he’s showing no signs of hanging up the gloves just yet.
As for Parker, he’ll be looking to move onto a big fight – but who?
CHISORA VS PARKER – ROUND TWELVE
Chisora finds another burst of energy and he lands a good couple of right hands!
It’s going to be a grandstand finish!
But Parker follows back with a sharp left.
Parker is trying to finish the show and he lands a one-two forcing Chisora back onto the ropes.
Time runs out and it’s heading to the scorecards. WHAT A MAIN EVENT!